Our history

Princess Louise’s Own

Princess Louise Caroline Alberta was born at Buckingham Palace on 18 March 1848.  She was the 6th child (4th daughter) of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

On 21 March 1871, Princess Louise married John, Marquess of Lorne, heir to the Duke of Argyll.  For periods during her marriage she had a home at Roseneath Castle on the Gareloch.  On 24 April 1899  her husband inherited the title of Duke of Argyll when his father died.

Sadly, Princess Louise and her husband did not have any children and the Duke of Argyll died on 2 May 1914.

Princess Louise became a partial recluse but still visited her home at  Roseneath Castle.

She was appointed as the first Royal Patron of Girl Guides in 1916.

In 1920, she expressed a desire that Dunbartonshire Girl Guides be called “Princess Louise’s Own”, a Royal accolade that we have been proud to bear ever since.  This makes Dunbartonshire the only Guide County permitted to use a Royal Cypher on their County Banner and badges.

Princess Louise died at Kensington Palace on 3 December 1939 at the age of 91, making her the longest-lived of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert’s 9 children.

Members of Princess Louise’s Own companies of Girl Guides attended, in uniform, a service for Princess Louise at St Modan’s Parish Church, Roseneath, held at the same time as her funeral service at Windsor.