Are you ready to get out and about and stretch your legs? We are delighted to let you know that our level 2 walking training and assessment weekend is back for 2022.
When: 5.30pm, 22 April – 10am, 24 April 2022
Where: Christian Compass Centre, Glenshee Lodge, Glenshee, Blairgowrie, PH10 7QD
Cost: £80 (with a £30 non-refundable deposit to secure your spot)
Who is it for?
This training is open to all members of Girlguiding aged 18+ who would like to:
- Extend their walking skills and improve navigation techniques
- Those with some hill walking experience wanting to learn how to lead Guiding groups safely in the hills
- Work towards gaining a qualification having done DofE or Queen’s Guide expeditions
- Move to Level 2 after completing Level
To start at Level 2 you should have undertaken six walks in any type of country of which:
- One should have been at least 6 km or 4 miles
- Three should have taken place in the last three years
- One or more walks in open country would be an advantage
There is also an assessment course for Level 2 for those who have completed the training and gained the necessary experience.
What will the weekend involve?
The training will cover the main topics of the practical and theoretical sessions of the walking scheme, including:
- Route planning
- Navigational techniques
- Group management
- Hazards and risk assessment
- Day, micro and low visibility navigation
This course can be adapted to cover other aspects to suit particular needs, however it will involve some intense physical activities and being out in all weather conditions.
Accommodation is in bunks, and you will need to bring towels and slippers. No outdoor shoes are allowed inside, but there is a drying room. You can arrive from 5.30pm on Friday evening, supper will be at 7pm and the course starts at 8pm. The bedrooms must be empty by 10am on the Sunday, but there will be access to the public rooms for those completing assessments.
Please note, you must be willing to follow any Covid-19 measurements put in place to protect all attending.
Once you have booked your place you will receive further information about the course and what to bring. Some outdoor equipment is available to borrow. If you have any particular queries about the course, please email Gillian on
Please fill in the booking form and send it to Ann-Marie at SHQ as per the instructions on the booking form, along with the £30 deposit by Monday 4 April 2022. The deadline for paying the full balance of the course is due Monday 18 April. Grants may be available to subsidise the course – please get in touch if this would be helpful.
- Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis and the event may sell out prior to the deadline.
- You must send in the (non-refundable) £30 non-refundable deposit as soon as possible after your form is completed to secure your place, or it may be given to someone else.
- Do not send cash in the post – cheques can be replaced if they go missing but cash cannot.
- The full fee of £80 does not include travel to and from the event.